Ali Group has many B2B, B2C and C2C online shopping websites in English and Chinese language, the most well known online shopping websites are Alibaba and Aliexpress, Taobao, Juhuasuan and Tmall. Lots of foreigner clients shopping on both Taobao and Tmall times and cannot tell the main differences between them. In this article we will reveal the main differences between Taobao and Tmall on both buyer and seller point of view.
There are mainly 6 differences between Taobao and Tmall for the buyers.
1. Taobao belongs to C2C online shopping website while Tmall belongs to B2C online shopping site. Every verified Taobao user can open a Taobao store but Tmall store can only be registered as company. Which means personal user cannot open a Tmall shop; all the Tmall stores have physical stores while many Taobao shops don’t have. In short, Tmall is a kind of supermarket like Wal-Mart or Carrefour while Taobao is a kind of street vendor.
2. All commodities have seven days return or exchange guarantee in Tmall while Taobao doesn’t have unless Taobao stores joined seven days return or exchange service (There are still many Taobao shops didn’t join this service which hardly guarantee the interests of consumers).
3. Consumers can buy the shipping insurance in Tmall which means you can get shipping fee compensation for returns goods without any reasons while Taobao doesn’t have.
4. Tmall store must join all the consumer guarantee services on Taobao but Taobao shop owners are voluntarily to join those services.
5. Tmall is more like a shopping mall while Taobao is more like an uproar market. All the commodities you are bought on Tmall store need to pay commissions to Taobao while Taobao stores don’t have to. Hence we can always see Tmall brands promoted on Taobao with higher rank results.
6. Tmall shop has goods distribution management while Taobao shop doesn’t have.
There are mainly 9 differences between Taobao and Tmall for the sellers.
1. There is no negative value for Tmall store credit evaluation. The score starts from 0 to 5, consumers can comprehensively evaluate the deal.
2. Tmall shop UI design is completely customizable while Taobao shop doesn’t have, that’s why Tmall store looks more beautiful.
3. The Tmall product display takes advantage of flash technology to comprehensively showcase the commodities;
4. All the Tmall stores applied shopping mall certification to ensure transaction credits.
5. Anyone can open a Taobao shop but only registered companies can open a Tmall shop, the Taobao shop registration is free but Tmall store required to pay 10,000 RMB security deposit, of course, Taobao sellers are voluntarily to pay for the security deposit.
6. Tmall is a comprehensive B2C online shopping site created by Ali group, it gets all the well known offline brands together, and it is a business to consumer platform. Taobao is the largest retail online shopping website created by Alibaba, it is a typical consumer to consumer online shopping platform.
7. Tmall sellers have to subscribe yearly service fee from 30,000 RMB to 60,000 RMB, and it is onetime payment. It can be returned if the store meet the return service fee terms of conditions, the return percentage include 50% and 100% two kinds. Taobao sellers do not have to any service fee.
8. Tmall and Taobao have different credit evaluation system. Tmall uses store dynamic scoring system to judge the store credits through 4 indicators include commodity description consistent, seller customer service, delivery speed and courier service. In addition to store dynamic scoring system, Taobao store all has seller credit like heart, diamond, crown, and golden crown 4 grades.
9. Tmall store has data statistics service to help seller analysis the traffics and ROI as well as other data while Taobao store doesn’t have.
In addition, Taobao has two service commitments: 7 days return or exchange without any reason and new products while Tmall has 6: delivery on time, refund guarantee, returns policy, speedy refund, free shipping fee assurance and 7 days return or exchange without any reason. Customers can pay for the commodities via Ali points and Alipay while there are 7 ways to pay on Tmall: Alipay funds installments, credit card installments, quick payment, online bank, find friends to pay, consumer cards and Alipay balance. Meanwhile Tmall has credit point return while Taobao doesn’t have.
The above are the main differences between Taobao and Tmall, please feel free to leave your feedbacks if you are interested in shopping on Taobao and Tmall.